[Zope-CMF] What next?

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:04:29 -0700

I'm a bit ahead of you, but still very new, so maybe I can help out.

1. I think most of the default site HTML is generated from the portal_skins
folder.  Use the zope management interface (ZMI), navigate from your root to
your portal object to the portal_skins folder. From the portal_skins folder,
you can use the find tab to figure out where the file you want to modify
lives.  For example, if you want to change index_html, the home page, do a
search, open the item, and then click 'customize' (I think that's the button
name - top of the page).  That will put an editable version into the custom
portal_skin folder.  Modify as needed, and there you go.  Search for
portal_skin on cmf.zope.org for more info on how skins work - it's pretty
cool.

2. To expose content, look for the news_box (or is it news_item?), and see
how that's done.  You can use the search box to make sure your stuff is
visible.  Topics are another tool you can use to organize content.  They are
not enabled by default - again, go to cmf.zope.org and search for topics to
find out how to enable them and use them.

3. Use cmf.zope.org and www.zope.org - do lots of searches.

4. On a default install of zope 2.3.1, the index_html page has links to the
zope book, which has lots of examples, and links to other docs on
www.zope.org.

5. Add the zope tutorial and work through it.  You can add it from the ZMI
just like any other object.

6. Finally, play around!  I created a test folder off of the root to muck
about with.  It's a big product, and the learning curve is step - stick with
it, it's starting to make some sense to me.  Take a look at www.kmclan.net -
it's my two nights worth of dinking around.  I'd be happy to tell you how I
did any of it.

Scott