[Zope-CMF] Composite Content

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:26:22 +0100

* Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org> [010416 22:30]:
> Has there been any further discussion on the topic of Composite
> Content?
> http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals/composite_content
>
> I'm ready to discuss. :^)
>
> Where would Composite objects reside? (composed of items created
> by different people)

I've been hacking together something along these lines, although it
*is* a hack.

For my application, I need not only a CompositeContent Type, but also
special CompositeComponent Types too.  This is because Components
participate in a Portal only through the CompositeContent which they
compose.

A CompositeContent must:

 - return a SearchableText which is made up of its components
 - have slots which are configurable TTW

CompositeComponents:

 - must participate in the workflow of their container, rather
   than their own
 - must participle in catalogs only through their containers
 - have no need of extensive (i.e. DublinCore) metadata, since this,
   too, is a property of the container.

Would these requirements apply more generally?  I think they
would.

I've implemented a CompositeContent as a Folderish PortalContent
object, and I've implemented a Document-like CompositeComponent, and
it all works quite well in a prototype kind of way.  However, I've not
abstracted the functionality into a helper class which can be
implemented ad hoc TTW.

seb