[Zope-CMF] Re: Chicken and the Egg -- WAS -- Using CMF withou t portal like features

Amr Malik aeamalik@yahoo.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:41:33 -0700 (PDT)

If there is something that I can help with, by all means, count me in!
Currently I think I could be immediately productive with logical structure
of a given document and also maybe add my comments on the documentation that
I have used to play with CMF. I was thinking of sprucing up the PortalPoll
doc and maybe adding screenshots to it, not sure if its a good idea?

I would be more than happy to help this effort in whichever way possible!

regards,

Amr

--- Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Boddy Stephen wrote:
>
> > Tres,
> >
> > I'm not attacking you Tres, but this is a perfect example of the problem.
> > These slides tell me (a grasshopper) what the CMF can do, without
> explaining
> > the techniques you (the Master) would use. Short of me spending the next
> > several months reading code, (particularly code written by someone else
> > who's a more experienced coder, and possibly :o) much smarter than me) then
> > it is highly unlikely that I, or someone like me, is going to be able to
> > create this documentation.
>
> I'd just like to reiterate the tail end of my message:
>
> > > The outline implied by the slides is a likely start on a "CMF
> > > Site Manager's Guide", I think.
>
> I think that fleshing out the "skeleton" indicated by those slides
> into a real manual is a desirable goal;  not only that, it is one I
> am likely to have resources for in the near term.
>
> > Until someone with the knowledge and understanding takes on the onerous,
> > difficult and decidedly boring task of creating end-user documentation,
> > there will be a limited take up of CMF. This is not because of inherent
> > problems / shortcomings of CMF, but rather the large investment of time to
> > achieve professional, commercially acceptable results. At a time when time
> > is at a premium, it's difficult to justify the time needed to understand
> the
> > CMF, in order to make a judgment call as to whether it's viable, write
> > documentation, or adapt it to one's needs.
> >
> > In the long run I could see the documentation helping out. There seems to
> > lots of newbie style questions on this list, which to me should be more
> > about the development, bug-fixin' and improvement of CMF. A reduction in
> > this level of "noise" (Zope-CMF-[FAQ|Newbie]? Vote now!) would probably
> > justify a knowledgable persons time. I'm sure there'd be dozens of
> > beta-readers on this list alone.
>
> I think that there *are* people on this list who *can* help create
> the required documentation;  I would be delighted to enlist as many
> as practical in the effort.
>
> Tres.
> --
>
> See http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker for bug reports and feature