[Zope-CMF] opps, repost: Re: dtml-in comment

coventry@mail.one.net coventry@mail.one.net
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 05:36:12 GMT

I just clicked on an old post of mine, and found an interesting problem: It
seems my exchange webmail system sometimes send base64 encoded multi-part
mime messages in reply to plain-text messages, and the IT staff can't
figure out how to turn it off... Anyone know alot about exchange webmail
systems?  Anyway, Heres on of the posts that got garbled:

I think, off hand, the issue may be related to priority and percieved

want/need as opposed to purposeful avoidance of submited issues.

Or, at least, I'd hope this is what it is.

The problem stems from the lack of a public view on the tracker for
submited items that aren't publicly viewable.  It it all too easy for an
item to get submited and then ignored due to its 'small' or 'silly' nature:
and members of the community might _want_ the issue resolved.  Yet, other
members of the community don't nescisarily have a way to re-inforce the
original request in the collector:  There is no public or member-
based 'click here if you agree this should be done' or other such voting
mechanism.  A long time ago I wanted to start an organization just to
handle this sort of thing, but never had the time I needed to devote to it,
except for creating a proposal.  Maybe a better solution would be some
modification of the current systems which would allow for fellow community
members to make thier voice heard as part of someone else's feature/bug-fix
request?  I know there are several things I would of voted to be done
and/or merged into the core a long time ago if I'd had a way to do it...

Of course, this all begs the questions of whether anyone will pay attention
to the tallies for diffrent requests:  If added, any such tallying system
should include a public tracking page where the most-wanted issues can be
seen by all.  That way, when someone like me can't sleep on a saturday
night, we could jump in to that page and not only see that status of items,
but we could submit fixes and such as well.

>I don't think that's the problem. I could probably knock up a patch to fix
>this
>in about 5-10 minutes.
>
>ZC seem to have quite a few issues like this where lots of people are
>screaming
>at them to change it but they never do. The usual reason given is along the
>lines that backwards compatability needs to be maintained, but
particularly >in
>this case, that doesn't realyl stand up since any backwards incompatability
>would have at most minor impact.
>
>just my 2p
>
>Chris

This message was sent using Us.Net Webmail.