[Zope-CMF] workflow published item versioning?

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:09:33 -0400

I'm trying to figure out some rough ideas on how best to implement a
workflow in which a published item can be modified privately by a user
without retracting the currently live listing.  This edit would then need to
follow the basic default workflow--submission, review--and then when
published it would replace the live listing.

Gee, sounds a bit like versioning, eh?

Currently, Once an item is published, the only way I see to change it in the
default workflow is by retracting it, editing it, and resubmitting it.  (I'm
assuming the DCWorkflow's "Web-configurable workflow" is the same, but it is
crashing for me at the moment on install; will try CVS again soon.)

Is there a pleasantly obvious answer available ("Yes, it's already done and
in front of your nose")?  If not, does anyone have any recommendations on
how best to proceed?  My best (vague, inexperienced) idea so far is to try
to script official Zope versioning into a new DCWorkflow workflow.  But then
the workflow really seems to be handling the state of both the original
object (Published->Published and Version locked->Changed and Published) and
the version (Created->Submitted->Reviewed->Merged with original and
published).  Seems messy.  And yucky.

Any ideas on best practice or way least likely to cause brain damage?  Just
had a thought--does CMFWiki deal with some of these issues?

Generic use case is an object that is owned collectively by all site users:
it should allow reviewed modification from anyone, but maintain the original
resource while the edit is being suggested and reviewed.  I need it for
various bibliographical applications.

Thanks

Gary