[Zope-CMF] Coments on Z2.5b1 with CMF and friends

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:08:21 -0500

bill,

>> the CMFDecor product provides the basic ZPT-based skin. since ZPT is the
>> "way of the future" (CMF 1.2 will "swallow up" CMFDecor and have
>> ZPT-based
>> skins as default) there won't be a DTML-based skin for the CMF Collector.
>
> That's a drag, since you are talking about a future, that may well be a
> long way off. In the meantime, those of us non-ZPT-grokking people are
> hosed. :{

that future is closer than you think. the CMFDecor integration has already
been finished in a CVS branch, it is just a matter of merging it into the
CMF CVS head. there is also a big push to get CMF Tracker issues resolved/
rejected/deferred right now. we want some kind of 1.2 release in the very
near term, meaning the next 1-2 weeks.

> Now, if there was some detailed docs on *converting* between the two,
> that would help out quite a bit, So far, the docs are not that great. I
> *know* how to do things in DTML, but not ZPT. The ZPT docs seem oriented
> away from people like me. Ah well, guess that just might help me out,
> since in this next week I'll be offering skin development form
> templates, etc. for a small, reasonable fee. They will be done in DTML
> until I have good reason to use ZPT.:)

actually, there are a few HowTos that try to put DTML and ZPT constructs
side by side that should be helpful in converting. trust me, as someone
who has been *very* lazy in making the switch away from DTML myself it
only took me a few days and some example ZPT code (like the CMFDecor skins)
  to be able to do most of what i need. there is still quite a few things
that i'm not comfortable with, but the switch itself was not as painful as
i thought.

jens