[Zope-CMF] Future of CMF

Jeff Sasmor jsasmor@gte.net
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 08:39:39 -0500

I was reading the Paul Everitt atricle on Zopera.org and came across this quote:

http://www.zopera.org/site/Members/odeckmyn/iv_paul_2001

"Regarding CMF, we expect it to disapear in its current form, because the new component model will provide all the standard
facilities as Services, and you will just have to use them, and not reinvent the wheel. CMF was actually a big prototype for the new
architecture."

I was wondering if someone from ZC would like to comment on:

1. Whether or not current CMF-based products will be able to  migrate to this new platform or will have to be completely rewritten.

2. Whether CMF-based websites will have to be completely redesigned.

3.  Will future versions of Zope be able to support running the current or 'final' CMF codebase so that folks can update to newer
versions of Zope but still run CMF and their CMF-based apps and websites?

4.  Is this why there has been no new release of CMF in so long?

5. (OFF-Topic) Is it a bad thing to make Zope more complicated? IMHO, I think part of Zope's growth curve and rate of adoption has
been because of it's ease of use.  In spite of such things as _['sequence-item'] and other DTML dark corners, it is relatively easy
to use; hence, Zope itself is easy to use, if you take the time to learn it. Folder-centric inheritance of attributes and so on
(acquisition) is also not too bad.

If future users will be required to use  ZPT and Component Architecture which may be better but harder to understand (for newbies),
will people just tend to 'bounce off' Zope and go elsewhere?  I hope the docs for these features are voluminous,  comprehensive, and
well written; and that the people who have been writing books on Zope are kept up to speed on the changes so that learning materials
can be quickly updated!  Here's to making Zope better in the future (I wouldn't want to see it become stagnant, that's not what this
is about.)

Sorry about the rambling, I have a cold...

Jeff Sasmor
jeff@sasmor.com
www.netkook.com is an "open Zope CMF site"