[Zope-CMF] DCWorkflow: End State?

alan runyan runyaga@myrealbox.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:15:55 +0000

Hi.

just thinking about it. there really isnt a good way to find out if you bui=
lt a complex workflow what a 'ending state' would be.  In Process Integra=
tor (BEA's pointy-clicky workflow tool) you have a start state, transitio=
ns, decision points, events (automatic states) and end points (STOP's).  =
I think DCWorkflow should maybe incorporate a concept of STOP simply beca=
use if you needed to find out if a action was at the end of a Process you=
 should more easily be able to figure this out programatically besides ha=
rdcoding it.=20

Does this make sense?  it would be quite simple.  At the simpliest level th=
ere could be a 'End State' similiar to 'Initial State' property.  Or ther=
e could be something a bit more complex such as a Initial State (automati=
c that all workflows would have, instead of a workflow state that can be =
set to initial starting point.) as well as Several End State's which coul=
d be seperate from Published. =20

anyone have any comments?  or am i barking up the wrong tree?  the only way=
 I can solve my previous problems w/o impacting (severly) my existing wor=
kflows is to hack DCWorkflow.py after the updatePermissingMappings() in t=
he final stages of a state.  I really dont want to do this because I've b=
e (fairly) successful on not customizing the CMF and Friends source.

~runyaga