[Zope-PTK] Newbie: How do I add/play with topics and discussions?

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:41:11 -0500

Adrian Madrid wrote:

> I need pointers on how to add and use discussions and
> topics. I need to organize documents through a tree of
> topics and I also need to have discussions on each
> document and some folder with open discuccions on
> subjects. Any pointers on how to do that?
>
> PS: I just downloaded and succesfully installed the
> latest cvs for the ptk and installed all the folders
> (DemoPortal, LoginManager, Membership, PortalTopic, etc.)

A couple of things:

 * You don't need any of the 'DemoPortal', 'LoginManager',
   'Membership', or 'Wizard' products.  Try doing:

     $ cvs up -P

   in your checkout directory;  those directories should go away.

 * You can enable discussions for any specific type by checking
   the appropriate box on it's 'portal_types' type object's
   properties;  by default, members can "Reply to" any content
   object whose type object allows discussions.

 * Topics are still in a fairly early stage;  they represent
   "canned catalog queries", and make the search results available
   in a form similar to the 'folder_contents' view.