[Zope-CMF] CMF for intranets?

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:23:21 +0100

Casey's reply to my plea to "CMF-ise" DocumentLibrary is below (forwarded
with permission)

Anyone else who would like to see Kaivo's DocumentLibrary CMF-ised?

Please send cheques to the "Let's Bribe Casey Fund" c/o my Swiss bank
account. I'll forward them on, honest!  ;-)

IMHO, DocumentLibrary would be a great addition to the CMF stable, specially
for all the people planning to use CMF for intranets, as discussed last
week. But what's in it for Casey/Kaivo? Actually, what's the motivation for
anyone to CMF-ise their existing Zope product?

Here's a few benefits I thought of. If anyone comes up with any more, please
CC Casey, as he is not subscribed to this list.... yet! ;-)

(Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!)

1. There's a growing user-base for CMF. From some of the conversations last
week it looks like there's a market for CMF in SMEs who perhaps wouldn't use
Zope on its own, but *would* use CMF to get a quick, effective intranet
solution, without having to dive into the complexities of Zope straight
away. DocumentLibrary would be a natural for these applications... and Kaivo
could sell lots of "CMF-in-a-day" training courses! :-)

2. DocumentLibrary already uses DublinCore, topics, subject/metadata
hierarchy, and a submit/review/publish workflow. So does CMF. CMF-ising
DoucumentLibrary would mean that all the other objects that CMF already
handles (articles, links, news-items, and soon RSS feeds and emails) would
be accessible to DocumentLibrary, widening its scope and perhaps moving it
towards being even more of a "knowledge-base" application? It would also
allow it to use add-ons like the DCWorkflow product, and fledgling workgroup
stuff to tailor it better for individual organisations (who, of course, will
need more Kaivo training courses ;-)

3. Some of the work has already been done? I think Seb has already produced
functionality to get Word and Excel documents (and browser
Favorites/Bookmarks) into CMF?

The defence rests, your honour!

BTW I hope this doesn't sound like one of those "I want Zope to do xyz, and
I want someone to do it for me" emails! I would be happy to help out anyway
I can, if you decide to give it a go, Casey!  :-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Cheers, Jon