[Zope-CMF] To CMF or not to CMF

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
09 Jul 2001 23:27:42 -0600

On 10 Jul 2001 02:22:27 +0200, Arkaitz wrote:
> The site is for a Non-profit organization that is mid-sized. They want
> to be able to publish all the information they have, which will change
> over time, plus basic news and little more. This is not going to be a
> "portal", with lots of members, etc. Just the minimum editors/members
> that will write the content in STX. Our job is basically to provide a
> design and the tools for them to publish the information. The site won't
> be in English.
>
> Now, the question is, is this kind of site well suited for the CMF? I
> guess being in the list I am, the responses will be quite possitive ;-),
> but I would appreciate any reasoned answer regarding our doubt. The CMF

In this case, I believe CMF is the right choice. here are some reasons:
The functionality of the site *_WILL_* increase. they may want the simple
stuff now, but just you wait, it will not stay that way. I have yet to see
a site such as the one you describe stay that simple for long. CMF will make
it easy to add most things in the future, with an integrated 'look and feel'.

With the CMF, you will get the good stuff up front, news, pre-built content-writer's
interface, preset permissions (review, etc.), and then, later when the feature creep
sets in, there is/will be more easily waiting.

Another reason, is that through judicious use of the Scriptable Types interface
in the types tool, you can easily, and I mean easily, make different types of
standard documents, such as Article, review, howTo, etc. with little effort
and easy searching. This is precisely the means I have used on
http://bill.noreboots.com and http://www.libc.org.

On these sites, I have taken the above procedure to create a veritable
cornucopia of document types. on the former, only I have a login, and hence
any permissions to do anything other than view. On the latter, site members
have differing levels of authority.

So, based solely upon what you have posted, I would propose the CMF,
as opposed to 'straight zope'.

Bill Anderson
http://www.immosys.com