[Zope-CMF] Meaningful URLs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:40:10 +0100

Erik Enge wrote:

> [Chris Withers]
>
> | Well, I've got a lot of mileage out of having the id computed from
> | the Title.  It's a no-brainer for users, you get meaningful URLs
> | (quite important, IMNSHO),
>
> Can I ask why it's important?

I think this was in one of the original Zope presentations that Jim Fulton gave.
Which gives more information:

http://www.swishdot.org/2001/July/10/microsoftsucks/notheydont/wellithinktheydo

http://www.squishdot.org/98881212/98881213/98881215

> The way I see it: users don't care about the URI.  If they want
> something useful that resembles it they could use a breadcrumb-thingy.
> I'd love to be mistaken, naturally :)

Well, my opinion is that users don't consciously care about the URL. However,
ask Jon Udell, the more context you can get for the least effort, the easier
people will find the system to use.

URLs are the first port of call, so it makes good sense for them to be easily
understandable...

cheers,

Chris