[Zope-CMF] workflows what are they and how to use them

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:14:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, albert boulanger wrote:

> Many workflow systems indicate the states in a state engine explicitly
> and the content objects are only related to the state object through
> say a list.  The content object also points to the state
> object(s). Thus a content object can be in mutiple states in mutiple
> workflows and a workflow can be pushing mutiple content objects.

Interesting.  Would the state object be a child of the content object, a
peer, or completely disjoint?

Note that DCWorkflow does allow an object to be in multiple states in
multiple workflows (but one state per workflow).  A workflow can also
govern multiple content objects if the content objects are children of the
object to which the workflow applies.

> Personally I would like to see a workflow system for Zope where the
> objects being pushed are any kind of thing including "push" activities
> like "ET phone home" on say a pager.

I mean this in the best way, but what prevents you from doing that today?
How would you do it differently from writing a Script (Python) that sends
mail?

Shane