[Zope-CMF] Re: Chicken and the Egg -- WAS -- Using CMF without portal like features

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:17:55 -0400

Lynn Walton wrote:

> I try not to use the mailing list just to post "here here" or "me too" type of
> comments.  But in this case I'm going to make an exception because I feel like it
> is VERY important that the CMF creators understand that this is how MANY
> developer's feel.  I wholeheartedly agree with Amr's comments.
>
> I want desperately to use the CMF, but the docs don't seem to start at anything
> like the beginning.  And I agree that what Amr and I are asking for isn't spoon
> feeding to a total ignoramus who isn't willing to do any work at all to help
> himself, or to a total beginner at web application development.   But, I've been
> trying for weeks to get enough info to make a decision to use CMF, and despite
> pouring over everything written on the CMF website, I can't put the basics
> together.  The docs spend  a lot of time on outlines or the conceptual idea of CMF,
> but little on how to really do it. It's leading me to a decision not to use CMF,
> which greatly saddens me since I think if there were enough docs that I think I
> could put it together faster, and safer, then it would be the best decision for me
> to go with.
>
> It really does feel like Amr's "cheezy metaphor" .... that we're having to " spin
> my own rope, smelt the iron and make myself the axe and the hooks and the rest of
> the climbing gear from scratch".
>
> I'm sympathetic to the folks trying to build and refine the CMF product not having
> enough time to do docs too, but it doesn't help my frustration level.

Perhaps the slides from my OSCon tutorial would help some:

   http://cmf.zope.org/Members/tseaver/oss_2001/building_sites

The original text is there as portal content, along with the

StarOffice slides.

The outline implied by the slides is a likely start on a "CMF

Site Manager's Guide", I think.