[Zope-CMF] odd problem with user management

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:12:49 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 31, 2001 12:32:38 AM -0400 Jon Franz <jfranz@US.NET>
wrote:

> As for making the code change a product: I'd be happy to do that, but
> the code requires and expexcts certain properties to exist on the main
> portal itself, and on the users.  I'm not too sure how to go about
> writing an install to add these properties programatically - I'm sure
> its not too hard, I'm just short on time, due to the nature of my job.

CMFCore/RegistrationTool.py is the implementation of the tool
'portal_registration';
there can only be one instance of a CMF tool on a site at a time.
What Tres was suggesting is what we do:

1. make your own subclass of CMFCore.Registration.RegistrationTool
2. delete the standard CMF tool portal_registration
3. create an instance of your tool in it's place

Then *all* CMF registration actions will go through your tool.  Your tool,
or other custom tools of yours, would be responsible for managing your
site-specific properties.  At this point we have: portal_registration,
portal_membership, portal_actions and portal_url as our own subclasses.

The advantage of doing things this was is that upgrading to new versions of
the CMF is MUCH, MUCH easier.