[Zope-CMF] There is no variable named 'portal_metadata'

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:16:25 -0400

Norman Khine wrote:

> Hello,
> I am having a problem when a member logs joins and tries to add an item, I
> get the following error, and although the item is added and I can add text
> to it I am unable to change its metadata.
>

> Zope Error
> Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>
> Error Type: NameError
> Error Value: There is no variable named 'portal_metadata'

Hmm, is this a newly-created CMFSite?  Or is this one which was built
under CMF 1.0?  If the latter, then you likely need to add the metadata
tool, using the "CMFDefault Tool" option on the "Add" list of the CMFSite
root (in the Zope management interface).

> I then tried to perhaps change in the generic folder the simple_metadata
> file to portal_metadata but I was advised that this was reserved.
>
> My set up is as follows
>
> Zope Version  	Zope 2.3.2b2 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2)
> Python Version  	2.0 (#2, Jan 8 2001, 16:54:34) [GCC 2.95.2 19991024
> (release)]
> System Platform  	freebsd4
>
> +Todays' checkout of the CMF

If you don't already have a 'portal_metadata' tool, please go ahead and
add one.  If you *do* have one, and still show this bug, please let us
know.