[Zope-CMF] List of subject/metadata sets? - Composite Docs

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:20:24 +0100

(Thinking slightly clearer today... I hope!)

(Disclaimer : I'm not sure how composite docs will work, but I'm assuming a
site will use them for all its presentation of objects to the end user?)

When you start using composite docs, this will solve the problem, as if all
your user-facing pages are made up of composite docs, the user-searching and
indexing only needs to index the composite docs. All the "components"
(documents, images, news-items) will only be accessible as separate objects
to members/editors. So you then get the separation of presentation from
composition/preparation... the catalog is still serving two purposes, but
the divide is a bit clearer... I think! :-)

However, does that mean that you will need a fourth workflow state for
individual objects - "Published in Comp-Doc"?

So, for an example, a member would write an article, state=Private. He would
request it be reviewed, state=Pending. The reviewer would approve it,
state=Approved (and perhaps it would then appear in a "Content Repository"
of available documents for Editors to insert in their composite docs?). An
editor would include it in a composite doc for one of his pages,
state=Published.

This might also impact on editing permissions? i.e. an object can be edited
in any of the first three states, but not when it has been published?

Hope that makes more sense?

Cheers, Jon

> Going off at a tangent, does anyone ever get the feeling that you
maybe
need
> two portal_catalogs? One for end-user searching, topics, etc. and one
for
> the internals, composite-docs and that sort of stuff?

How do you mean?  Wouldn't that mean you end up with lots of objects
being indexed in two places?

seb