[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:36:23 -0400

Ricardo Newbery wrote:

> At 9:10 am -0400 6/6/01, Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>>
>>> Specifically, I notice that the 'Coverage' element is not included
>>

>> Its semantics seemed hideously underspecified to me, so much so that I
>> couldn't imagine wanting to use it in a general-purpose CMS.  Can you
>> indicate
>> how you intend to use it?
>

> I need to maintain a constantly updated set of bylaws and other
> documents (current and historical) that govern a large number of county
> organizations across the state of California (and some documents with a
> statewide or regional 'coverage' or jurisdiction). Eventually, this
> application might be extended to cover the entire nation and maybe even
> the world.  The Coverage metadata element seemed appropriate for this
> purpose.

OK, I can see adding a field to the interface, and a simple implementation
to the common base class used by the content objects in CMFDefault.  Would
a "multi-valued" field (like Subject or Contributors) fit your needs better
than a "text" field (like Description)?

To clarify the question:  do you intend to perform searches against the
Coverage field?  If so, we/you would need to do one of two things:

  - Store the value as a single string, and create a TextIndex in the
catalog
    against it;  this would allow for typical "full-text-style searches on
    words in the field.

  - Define some trickier schema, and catalog that;  this makes harder
searches
    possible, at the cost of considerably more coding on your part.  You
would
    likely prefer a multi-valued field here, and build one or more
KeywordIndexes
    against methods which parsed out the values.

> Similarly, I suggest that 'Contributors' be mapped onto 'Contributor'
> unless you just want to correct the spelling -- possibly breaking
> someone's current application (or is CMF too new to worry about that)?

We will alias the field, so that the same method can be queried under either
name.