[Zope-CMF] Should we invert security?

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:52:40 -0400

Right now the security strategy used by CMFDefault is "deny by default".
Each member folder is set up to deny access to anonymous users and other
members.  Objects within a member folder allow access depending on their
workflow state.

But the problem with this strategy, which seems right at first, is subtle:
you might be able to access content without being able to access the
container of the content.  So DTML that tries to use PARENTS[0], which
really ought to be available, raises a security exception.  This is a
problem right now on cmf.zope.org.

I think we should switch to "allow by default".  Member folders won't have
any special security settings, but when you create content, it might be
restricted by default so that other users can't see it until it's ready to
be published.

Do you agree?  It would sure simplify things IMHO.

Shane