[Zope-CMF] departmental hierarchies with modified workflow

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:43:14 +0100

The point of Jon Udell's article IMHO was that the format of weblogs seems
to be one that all sorts of people "get" very easily, and is being used in
all sorts of ways because of that. Dave Winer makes similar arguments (but
then, he would ;-)), and you see sites like "Weblogs in Education". It's an
opinion I share, YMMV.

I should have explained better, but if you look at the diagram I mentioned -
http://img.cmpnet.com/byte99/2001/May/0528/projectWeblog.jpg - you see that
the "fancy layout" is replaced by boxes for "hot issues", "agreements",
"files" and so on.

Why Squishdot/Swishdot instead of CMF discussions? Hmmm... no particular
reason! The weblog format just seems to fit better for me, YMMV.

Why Swishdot instead of Squishdot? Cos Squishdot isn't CMF-compatible, so
you don't get portal_cataloguing without some programming. Chris has also
mentioned that Squishdot will let you participate by email, which Jon Udell
also mentions in the article as being a handy facility. Blark would probably
work just as well, sorry, it slipped my mind!

I wasn't suggesting this should be the default interface for workgroup
folders. It was just an article that I had spotted that "struck a chord"
with me as a simple way to help workgroup/project collaboration that
wouldn't need much programming, and would be easy for users to understand...
so I thought I'd share it with the group!

Cheers, Jon

Why Squishdot/Swishdot as opposed to simple CMF discussions?  Do you really
need the fancy layout with its own left and right columns?  Do you really
need some nifty new feature that Swishdot will have that Squishdot doesn't?
If so, what is it?

The Swishdot feature set is a bit vaporous at the moment, but Squishdot is
pretty much just fancy UI wrapped around a list of Documents or News Items
with simple discussions attached to each of them.