[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:18:21 -0400

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Tres Seaver wrote:
>

>>Writing an adapter which fits *this* interface onto an arbitrarily
>>dumb content object is much simpler and cleaner than one which must
>>be extended for each service which, now or in the future, needs to
>>use aspects (having started with one, discussions, we have added
>>workflow history, and are considering metadata;  others will be
>>coming).
>>

> Using aspect bags or not depends on that last phrase.  I have always had
> it in mind to limit the possible aspects, but maybe you're right--maybe
> we need lots of aspects.  Good enough.  I hope there won't be *too*
> many.

You just proposed an additional one, because it made for a more
flexible, extensible, easier-to-maintain metadata tool
implementation;  I can already envision at least several other
possible uses:

  - I18N: storing translations in aspects

  - Consumer-side event filtering

  - "Rating" data (analogous to disucssions, really)

  - "Backlinks" storage.

One advantage to adopting an interface for this is that it will
then be possible to wrap up even non-persistent objects (think
SQL brains) as content;  their AB implementations / adapters will
have to fetch / assemble the information from whatever locus it
occupies, so it could be slow;  the usual tradeoff apply.