[Zope-CMF] How to work with topics?

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:39:49 -0400

GrXgoire Weber wrote:

> Hi all!

> two hours but I didn't find any information about
>
>    +-------------------+
>    | how to use topics |
>    +-------------------+
>
> "in real life". Is there a How-To?
>
> What I mean is: How do I add (ok, that's clear) and customize a new topic?
> And how do I view a topic? Which steps do I have to do?
>
> I use a CVS checkout which was Head about one or two weeks ago (past
> CMF1.1beta). So the portal_topics tool is preinstalled.
>
> I've done the following:
>  - Through the ZMI I added a "CMF Topic Objects" (in a Memebers
>    folder, I also tried it in the CMF root).
>  - It's name is 'Test' and it looks like a folder
>  - It is empty
>  - So I tried <Members folder>/Test/topic_criteria_form so I get a
>    form with the title 'Topic Criteria: Test'
>  - I added a new topic criteria (Subject, String), I set 'test'
>    as value. Saved Changes.
>  - now in the ZMI there is a 'crit__Subject'
>
> Now:
>  - If I view the page with <Members folder>/Test I get an error (ok there
> is no index_html)
>
> So, how do I use Topics at all?

Please try adding it using the 'folder_contents' view.

We have a known problem with adding "skinnable" objects through
the ZMI:  objects added via the ZMI may not be able to find their
"type information" objects.  (The source of the problem is that
the association with the type information object is created only
when objects are created "normally" via the 'folder_factories'
route.)