[Zope-CMF] Can the CMF work for me?

Rick Morrow rmorrow@delfax.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:00:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hi Mr Wilson!  (sorry, the dennis in me couldn't resist... ;-)

> What I don't comprehend is how the obvious CMF-related content can be merged
> with content that isn't so obviously portal-like. For example, we've got a
[...]
> So the question is how easily the CMF content can be integrated with
> nonportal content in a single site. My impression has been that the CMF is
> sort of an all-or-nothing solution. If I have to make all my content

	What I set up might be close to what you're looking for.  I set up
a bit of a hybrid system for an Intranet server I manage at work.  I
wanted to use the CMF for the main authentication engine, but I also
wanted authentication controlled access to non-CMF data.  What I did is
set up a directory to hold all of my content with an acl_users directory
in it.  I set up CMF to use an existing acl_users folder, and because the
acl_user folder is in the CMF's parent directory it picked it up.

	The content types I wanted to use was a ZWiki and a Calendar Tag.
When I started with this server we only had a ZWiki on it, but I liked
some of the document management features of the CMF so I wanted to add it
to the mix.  Also, when I built this up CMFWiki didn't exist yet.

	Here's the structure I built;

+
|-- holder_dir

    |-- acl_users

    |-- cmf

    |-- wiki

    |-- calendar

	This model should be extensible enough to handle pretty much any
type of Zope content that you want managed by the acl_users.

	There are two things left to do to get this to crank.  The first
is that you have to create Cookie Crumbler objects in each directory that
you want managed by the acl_users.  The second is that you have to create
whatever appropriate roles at whatever levels that you need to handle the
access you require.

	Now, to be fair, I'm not completely one with the zen just yet, so
there was probably an easier or more zope-proper way to do this. :-)
What I built works though, and well at that, and did what I needed it to.
Once the content types become native under the CMF, or the CMF becomes
smart enough to handle standard Zope content, then I probably won't need
this anymore.

	Hope this helps...

Rick Morrow, North Bay, Ontario, Canada - rmorrow@delfax.net
Unix & Internetworking Systems Consultant
PGP Public Key: http://www.delfax.net/~rmorrow/pgp_pub_keys.html