[Zope-PTK] CMF some basic Q

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:04:22 -0500

Norman Khine wrote:

> Hello,
> Following the set up of CMF1.0beta on zope 2.3.1b1, I am finding it to be a
> first class application and am hoping to learn more about it. What I am
> trying to figure out is as discussed in the
> http://cmf.zope.org/doc/ReviewerGuide customising skins, is that I would
> like to create a skin based on my own requrements.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to create my own skins or if there are any
> particular steps needed to be taken?
> Am I correct to assume that the /custom folder in the ZMI is where these
> skins are built? If thats true, do I have to create seperate subfolders ie
> for images, content control etc etc...?
> As a simple example I tried to change the logo.png, so what I did was to go
> to the Image folder click on logo.png then click on Customize which in turn
> creates a copy of logo.png in the customs folder, I then Browse and get the
> image I want to place and Uploaded, Save the changes and then do a view.
> This is where the problem happens, when viewing I am unable to see anything,
> it just gives an outline of the image.
> Can you please direct me in the right direction as to how one is able to
> create their own skins

The folder "custom" is just there to get you started.  You can create
your own skin layer folders.  Take a look at the Properties tab of the
portal_skins object and I think you'll see how it all fits together.
Basically the folders inside portal_skins are layers and using the
portal_skins properties tab you can choose which layers are included in
which skins.  Visitors to your site will be allowed to select from the
skins you provide.

I'm not sure what happened with your logo.png.  But this is probably a
good enough time to explain an issue with the "Images" folder: since the
images are currently invoked in the skins by a name that includes
"Images", it's not as easy to override images in different skin layers.
Instead of asking for "Images/logo.png", the skins ought to be asking
for just "logo.png".  As it is now, you have to create your own "Images"
folder within a different skin layer then customize *all* of the
images.  It's just a matter of fixing DTML, though.

Shane