[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.0 Released

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:39:28 -0500

Kent Polk wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2001 06:45:00 -0600, Tres Seaver wrote:
> >I am pleased to be able to announce the release of the 1.0
> >version of the Content Management Framework:
>
> > * A roadmap for future releases.  Please review the "proposed
> >   enhancements", http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals, and create
>
> Comments/questions:
>
> 1) "Portal Metadata Tool"
>
> Do you have any idea as to how scoping of the policies? Will these
> be handled as something like a policy property sheet so one can
> change the policies at different locations in the site or will they
> be site-wide?

The interface contemplates the possibility of policies which vary
by location;  the "simplest implementation which could possibly
work" wouldn't do that, of course.

> 2) "Enable Composite Content and Templates"
>
> This looks really good and appears to meet the 'heirarchical objects'
> that I was asking for, but even better.  The question I have is
> how will ownership issues of subobjects be handled? where will
> subobjects reside and will they be abole to acquire attributes of
> parent objects? Will their slot location be implicitly managed by
> their addform methods - either in context of the view in which they
> are created, or some explicit mechanism?
>
> Specifically, I need for different people to be able to create and
> own different subobjects, but different attributes, such as Project
> ID, etc. should be acquired so the subobjects don't have to store
> metadata about their lineage so some kind of heirarchy is critical.
> In particular, this would allow my tabular objects to be vastly
> simplified wrt to the SQL queries that manage the tabular data.
> I.e. keep the metadata in the CMF and the tabular data in SQL.

Good questions;  we need to hash this a bit (once we finish migrating
the dogbowl, discussions will be working there).  We have a couple of
consulting projects under our belts which use composites, and will likely
start with a design based on them.

> 3) "Portal Events Tool"
>
> Will this be primarily handled through the catalogger or will this
> be a generic event interface - such as to handle the email on event
> limitation?

This will be lower-level;  in fact, the catalog will be one of
the events tool's main clients, as it will allow objects to cease
talking directly to the catalog at all.

Thanks for the feedback!