[Zope-CMF] Members' desktops (was: Building a query using NOT)

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 14:11:23 +0100

* Tres Seaver <tseaver@novacoxmail.com> [010521 13:22]:
> <snip>                                                      ...or we
> could quit generating default content for the member, supplying them
> instead with a "customization folder" which let them display topics,
> local content, etc.  I would actually prefer the latter:  I don't like
> the behavior of Documents as 'index_html' at all.

I couldn't agree more.  I think it's really confusing for users to
have the boundary between an object and its view blurred like that, by
using it as a *directory* default view.

Additionally, I think the current homepage / members page distinction is
not very useful.  Since a CMFDefault portal is about sharing and
publishing documents, it'd be nice if the portal homepage was more
than just a placeholder.

It's very subjective, but FWIW I've found a customisable desktop much
nicer.  Content can be viewed in an 'explorer' view (folders +
objects), a directory view (Topics), plus break out boxes with 'recent
documents' and possibly 'notified documents', i.e. ones containing
keywords to which the member has subscribed.  I'm still playing with
it, but one day I'll post it as a skin.  However, I've had to change
some parts of the CMFCore and CMFDefault products, too, where actions
are hard coded, so it's not just a skin.

The 'home' page is then exactly the same as Members' pages, but
listing not only the Member's documents, but all documents
portal-wide.  This seems to make a more intuitive out of
the box solution.

Well that's what I'm doing at any rate...

seb