[Zope-CMF] Sneak preview - workflow

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 12:42:52 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> I'd agree, although I would feel slightly cheated in this particular instance as
> I know a lot of people spent a fair bit of time helping out in the mailing list
> discussion. I'm sure that was done with the understanding that the results of
> the discussion would be open sourced...

That's a valid position.  As one of the folks involved in tossing these
ideas around (this whole thing *way* predated Brian Methvin), I'll try
to respond to some of the posts in this thread.

On this point, what was under consideration was to have a specified
framework of interfaces that defined how the workflow service operated.
We might provide some of the implementation as Open Source.  We might
have some more, or some supplementary interface implementations, that we
only made available to consulting customers (but still with visible
source).

[snip]

> One final comment though, if it appears that DC are 'cherry-picking' the best
> ideas after discussing them with the community and then closed-sourcing the
> results, the might discourage the community from getting involved in those
> discussions.

I think there's a hundred counterpoints (starting with BerkeleyStorage),
but apparently one case where we contemplated "cherry-picking".  People
did that math and concluded we were inappropriate are people that would
never believe in us anyway, so it's hard to weep about losing them.

Still, we understand that Open Source is the primary brand message for
us.  I'll discuss this more in the next posts...

--Paul