[Zope-CMF] Versioned Documents (was: Workflow first cut is ready)

Loren Stafford lstafford@morphics.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 15:00:21 -0700

We haven't defined our requirements on cataloging former versions, because
no one ever thought about it. Of course the documents have to be accessible
thru the catalog in some way. But I can see arguments in favor
(completeness) and against (redundancy) cataloging of entire contents.
Perhaps there should be some simple way to override the searchable_text (or
whatever it's called) method for former versions.

> Things get a little murkier if you consider that old versions of an
> object are modifiable,

That would be a workflow issue. See below.

can contain discussions and their own version
> information,

Chain of links back to former discussions? I don't know.

> and will never go away.

What? You must not have meant the former version object will not be
deletable. There must be some way to delete it explicitly (under workflow
perhaps).

> When an object is copied to a
> version, does the copy participate in a different workflow than the
> original?

>From a requirements view: Yes. In our environment, former versions should
not be modified unless there is some powerful overriding need. That implies
a different workflow. Also the decision to delete, would probably be part of
a different workflow. Whether that's a different Workflow object or a
different branch of the parent Workflow object is an implementation call, I
suppose.

> Everyone, does this informal proposal serve your needs?

Looking good!

-- Loren