[Zope-CMF] Refining the disposition of published-document revisions

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 13:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 May 2001, seb bacon wrote:

> Looks interesting, but
>
> >     Obviously, Zope object revisions offer a prime prospect for
> >     implementing this functionality.
>
> Have I missed something?  What's 'Zope object revisions' - is this
> Versions or something else?

I'm referring to zope object historical revisions - an inherent feature of
ZODB-persisted objects.  I may be misguided here, but i'm trying to
distinguish from Zope "versions", whereby distinct _collections_ of object
versions are managed as a unit.

I'm not clear exactly whether or how these version collections interact
with the lower-level object historical-revisions, but i think the
distinction is significant.  In particular, it seems to me that historical
revisions more closely fit the functionality i'm after - maintaining
published revisions of individual objects, distinct from their subsequent
revisions with further edits.  I'm not talking about maintaining
collections of different objects this way, which is what i understand to
be the purpose of the Zope Versions mechanism...

> ..and your post was cut off in its prime:
>
> >   parts.  The addition of being able to assign document revisions to
> >   symbolic version

I fixed that in a copy i put in my member folder in the CMF -
unfortunately the Zope site is down at the moment (ethan's working on
solving that), so i can't point you at it exactly (i have a flaky memory,
don't recall what i called the document - you can find it in
http://cmf.zope.org/Members/klm - whoops, i may have not published it,
will do asap).

Loren mentioned to me that shane's and my proposals overlap a lot, and
asked what needs to be done to unravel the story.  Well, i think we have
two proposals because we're still at the stage of trying to figure out the
right thing to do - and that's not a bad thing, they help point to the
actual use cases that motivate them.  Probably the next thing to do is to
discuss the specific use cases, and sort out what fits, what doesn't,
what's important, and what's not - etc.  (I won't have more time today to
pay attention to this, but expect we'll be sorting it out over the next
couple of days.)

Ken
klm@digicool.com