[Zope-CMF] Skins Questions

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 22:49:13 +0100

> > Why doesn't it just store the skin selected as an attribute of the
member
> > object?
>
> can't remember - someone else asked this question a week or two ago
> and got a reply.  one reason is so you can use skins for i18n, i
> think.

Hehe, I'd search the archive if I could... but I've got a coupla other
questions relating to skin selection anyway...

I've got a coupla CMF apps where I don't want the user to be able to choose
their skin, I want to specify it and not have them able to change it.
How would I go about doing that?

For example: Say if I have a CMF app that contains documentation for a
modular and customisable product. Each customer organisation will have
several users, each with their own username. They will each have their skin
set for them and musn't be able to change it. The skin's name will be the
name of organisation.

The skins tool will have layers for each module as well as a layer for each
customer (to contain the bits of documentaion that are customised for them),
the 'customer skin' will be made up of the appropriate layers. Does that
make sense?

So, my questions are:

1. How do I 'set' the skin for each user in this way?

2. Can skin layers (the folder things in the skins tool) contain subfolders?
eg:
layer1/part1/doc2
layer2/part1/doc2

Skin1: layer1 content Images ..etc..
Skin2: layer2 layer1 content Images ..etc..

If I refer to /part1/doc2, will a user with Skin1 set get /layer1/part1/doc2
and a user with Skin2 set get /layer2/part1/doc2?

If not, how can I make this work?

cheers,

Chris

PS: I wanna make the paths specifed in the skin definition
RestrictedTraverse to get the specified items rather than just look in the
skins tool itself (this would let me share skins between CMF instances, it
was discussed ages ago on the list) Where's the code I need to change? Would
anyone have any objections to this change being made in the core?