SV: [Zope-CMF] Localization

Juan David Ibáñez Palomar jdavid@nuxeo.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 11:22:24 +0100

>>>There is a patch in the ZBabel CVS that adds most of the
>>>Localizer-style tag
>>>
>>Why should I use ZBabel instead of Localizer?
>>
>>What is bettet? Why are you writing a replacement?
>>

> It's your choice ... - IMHO, it just doesn't make sense in the long run to
> have two competing syntax standards around. I mean, no Product maintainer
> will want to provide translations for more than one tool. I am deliberately
> talking about syntax standards (or APIs if you want). I don't see a problem
> with having different actual implementations of the API.
>
> We are not writing a replacement, we are just improving ZBabel ...

I think both products started to be developed around the same time,
several months ago. No one is trying to replace each other, but we
don't agree on several things and this prevents a merge.

Though with the latest versions of ZBabel and Localizer both products
are a bit closer, specifically in the Message Catalog area.

Unfortunately there're still some important differences, for example
Localizer provides different solutions to translate things in the ZODB
and in the filesystem while ZBabel provides one way. This is because
we've different points of view about several things.

Localizer also provides some features that are better compared with
other products, for example LocalProperties are somewhat like
InternationalObjects. From the discussions in the mailing lists
sometimes it seems like if there were only two solutions, ZBabel and
Localizer, but there're more and perhaps you'll prefer to use a
combination of them instead of using only one.

--
J. David Ibáñez, Nuxeo.com