[Zope-CMF] folder content (big post)

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:54:10 -0500

stephan,

if i understand what you are saying correctly then you want, kind of in=20=

"normal" zope-fashion, have a site where somewhere down in the folder =
tree=20
the appearance changes. Using a normal dtml-based zope site you would=20
usually do something like drop in a different =
standard_html_header/footer.

the CMF just doesn't work that way. it is more about content and content=20=

management and "standard" zope entities (like dtml methods or standard=20=

folders) will misbehave if not used carefully. the normal CMF entities=20=

never try to (and are not made to) influence the site's look and feel =
and=20
change it. that's just not part of the CMF way of doing things.

so the reason you're not successful here is the basic CMF philosophy. =
look=20
and feel is not decided or influenced somewhere on the site, it is =
driven=20
by the stuff you have in the portal_skins tool, and all that stuff is=20
globally available. i don't see a way to "selectively" change look and=20=

feel at random points inside the CMF that is as easy as a new header and=20=

footer.

one workaround would be to develop a skin that gives you the desired new=20=

look and making sure it gets applied whenever people step into the part =
of=20
the site that is supposed to have it. that could be done by query string=20=

(append something like ?portal_skin=3Dmy_new_skin to the URLs) or by=20
manually twiddling the cookie that holds this value. that's hackish,=20
though. there is no really easy way.

jens

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 03:56 , Stephan G=F6ldi wrote:

> In CMF, when I add a folder (not portal folder) via the ZMI, it is=20
> viewable
> in CMF. When I click on "folder content", it is not seen and not =
editable.

> When I add a portal folder (via the "folder content" functionality of =
CMF)
> ,
> it is seen by "folder content". But these folders behave different =
than
> standard folders:
>
> portal folders seem to include the functionality of =
standard_html_header=20