[Zope-CMF] Project-style workflows, DCWorkflow, SQL, etc.

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
3 Oct 2001 23:15:36 GMT

On 2 Oct 2001 14:25:00 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by "managed by an item".  But to try and explain

By Items, I mean CMF items, such as a CMF Document or Folder, etc..
Right now, workflows must belong to CMF Items and not tasks, as
far as I can tell. Not to mean that this can't change.

>>We have several feedback loops where data is determined to be of
>>insufficient quality, etc. and it must be reexamined. Some of these
>>should be arranged for by a workflow filter, but some will be done
>>by humans. Will have to take a closer look at that.
>
> Perhaps what I was saying was unclear.  I don't see how what you're saying
> is relevant to the above.  Feedback loops are part of a single workflow,
> and I was speaking about the need to create a dependency between two
> pre-existing tasks.  For example, if two projects were waiting for the
> analysis of a single DNA sample to be completed.  While the first project
> might create the "DNA analysis" task, the second would have to find it and
> link to it, rather than creating a new task.  Make sense?

Ok. I was still stuck in a task workflow manipulating item workflows.

>>This issue of group or team activities keeps coming up. I wish we
>>could find a solution to it, and not one that requires that CMF
>>items be structured in a storage heirarchy to accomplish it.
>
> It doesn't.  The standard DCWorkflow "worklist" idiom works just fine for
> this.  To do security correctly without a group-structured hierarchy,
> however, you might need to use local roles on the objects.

Right now, these are still problems with the current packaged CMF.
This is one of the issues I'd like to see a general solution for.