[Zope-CMF] Hard time grokking Zope-CMF

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists@netmeme.org
09 Oct 2001 20:33:02 -0600

--=-NnbJLNPiJsRp/SSO168i

I am having a hard time _really_ getting to understand exactly what Zope
CMF is, and what it isn't. All the docs on the site are small
"how-to"'s, or short descriptive whitepapers, on very focused little
subtopics -- but nowhere do I get a description of the big picture. It's
quite frustrating. Can anyone please point me in the right direction as
to understanding where Zope CMF fits into the world? I am familiar with
several other CMS systems -- Interwoven, Vignette, Accumedia, and could
use them as a frame of reference.

For example -- who exactly is doing most of the content creation in Zope
CMF -- is it site operators, or is it end-users? A CMS system is
typically used by site staff to maintain the site -- defining content
types, roles, workflow, etc.  However, in Zope CMF, I see an awful lot
of stuff related to end-users personalizing their home page,
contributing messages or discussion threads, etc -- not really
"classical content", but rather, it's community and portal stuff. So the
"Content Management" moniker doesn't seem to fit so neatly as, say,
"portal, personalization, and community" might.

Thanks in advance for any clarifying comments,

Bryan

--=-NnbJLNPiJsRp/SSO168i

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>I am having a hard time _really_ getting to understand exactly what Zope CMF is, and what it isn't. All the docs on the site are small &quot;how-to&quot;'s, or short descriptive whitepapers, on very focused little subtopics -- but nowhere do I get a description of the big picture. It's quite frustrating. Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to understanding where Zope CMF fits into the world? I am familiar with several other CMS systems -- Interwoven, Vignette, Accumedia, and could use them as a frame of reference.<br>
For example -- who exactly is doing most of the content creation in Zope CMF -- is it site operators, or is it end-users? A CMS system is typically used by site staff to maintain the site -- defining content types, roles, workflow, etc.&nbsp; However, in Zope CMF, I see an awful lot of stuff related to end-users personalizing their home page, contributing messages or discussion threads, etc -- not really &quot;classical content&quot;, but rather, it's community and portal stuff. So the &quot;Content Management&quot; moniker doesn't seem to fit so neatly as, say, &quot;portal, personalization, and community&quot; might.<br>
Thanks in advance for any clarifying comments,<br>
Bryan<br>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=-NnbJLNPiJsRp/SSO168i--