[Zope-CMF] ZMF vs ZEO

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:36:14 -0400

James Johnson wrote:

> Jens,
>   How many times do you have to repeat the same thing? I try to help out but
> you assume way too much. Please don't waste time repeating yourself to me I
> can read.
>

>  I'll try this one more time
>

>>===== Original Message From Jens Vagelpohl <jens@zope.com> =====
>>james,
>>
>>zexps cannot put stuff onto your file system. if there is a filesystem
>>directory view  installed by that product the zexp cannot miraculously
>>access your file system to dump stuff into it.
>>

>   What are you talking about? Why would it have to dump stuff that should
> already be there.  I'm talking about a customized instance of your CMF
> product, which is already installed on my system.
>
>   So what your saying is,
>

>>either the product author forgot to add those files to the package (must
>>

>   This is possible.
>

>>be separate, it's not part of the zexp) or you did not unpack those
>>separate files if the author did indeed deliver them with the product.
>>

>     I did unpack them and the product and the zexp appear unbroken.
>

>>this is not a CMF issue, it's an issue of that specific product.
>>
>>jens
>>

>   What you fail to understand Jens is that zexp, and the CMF aren't mmmanager
> products and that there is a problem with the CMF.  That's why I responded to
> this thread.  I'm having the same problem minus the ZEO.  I will start a new
> thread on this later.
>   For now I will spell it out once again.
>   When I import a customized version of a portal. Specifically
> Generic_uk.zexp.
>   When I look under contents, I see 7 folders. 6 FDV 1 Folder.  The folders
> are
> Images
> MyMediaManager
> content
> control
> custom
> generic
> topic
>    Like I said in my original post why would the all the skin directories be
> empty? Aren't these the skin directories?
> You mean if one skin folder fails the others fail too?  If that's the case I
> thought the instance would appear broken.

FilesystemDirectoryView objects are not really suitable for moving
around via import / export -- they need to be created relative to
the actual directory structure of the machine Zope is running on,
because their *only* persistent attribute is the 'dirpath' of the
directory they point to.  Perhaps we should add a ZMI tab which shows
this path, and allows the site manager to update it.