[Zope-CMF] info about Zope action objects!

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:20:05 -0500

> So, from a ZMI perpsective, the Actions tab that is displayed for a
specific
> type in the portal_types tool are a _different_ set of actions that those
> which would be defined using the "Actions" tab that is accessible when you
> view the portal_types tool itself (where the types are listed), It is the
> _latter_ that show up in portal_actions. I'm still not clear on why there
> are two different categories of actions, and what they do, but . . .

yes.  unfortunately they are 'different'.  but they dont have to be.  think
like this:
all the other actions are conditionally run through each
listFilteredActionsFor()
but.. actions on a object are only run when that object is the context on
the
call to listFilteredActionsFor()

> > * I highly suggest reading Portal.py and CustomizationPolicy.py
> > in CMFPlone
> > (from CVS or from alpha2) as
> >    this is the only thing I know of that really does acrobats with the
CMF
> > machinery.  Maybe you can make
> >    some more understanding by looking at it, installing Plone, viewing
it
> > and Indiana Jones'ing it.
> > I would like to take the opportunity to plead with everyone to purchase
> > Learning Python/Essential Reference and have your python
> > interpreters ready.
>
> You've confirmed what I already suspected -- I'm not sure I've even
reached
> the elbow of the learning curve yet, and the only way through it is
through
> the source code. A resource I would add is the _Zope Bible_. It's the only
> book I know of that shows you the inner machinery of products by building
> one from the ground up. I'm going through it with the hopes of having an
> easier time undersanding the source code. I'm also finding that reading
> through the main_template and header templates is instructive.

Unfortunately it appears to me.. that the Zope Bible is the only book that
approaches the Python Product development issue.  Besides teh Zope
Developers Guide.  I whole heartedly endorse the Zope Bible.  Yes.. the
default CMF
main_template/header is very helpful.  Its how I learned to use
PageTemplates and CMF ;)

> Ulimately, it seems to me that the true meaning of what you see in ZMI can
> only be grasped when you understand at the source code level what each of
> the action providers is doing. So I know what I'll be reading this
weekend.

pretty much.  especially for the CMF.  the main issue is.. if you want to
build an application that requires a management interface the ZMI and Plone
can be leveraged.  ZMI is used extensively to provide customizations and
interface to manage ZOPE objects.  So really when you are using the ZMI you
are using Object .. most people just dont get that.  when you do get it..
the lightbulb will switch on and you will say, 'holy jeebus! we dont need no
steenkin relational database'

> So, yes, this is all very helpful and I am grateful for your help. Many
many
> thanks!!!

great!  I hope you will help others once you get further down the road of
Zen.

cheers,
~runyaga