[Zope-CMF] Plone 1.0 alpha 3 released

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:40:49 -0500

Plone 1.0alpha3 released!

You can get the tarball:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/plone/CMFPlone-1.0alpha3.tar.gz?download

Partial Changelog:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=106005

This release (un)fortunately adds some major feature enhancements that are
necessary
to skirt around a major design flaw of CMF.  Geoff Davis has contributed
code (portal_factory)
that will put a proxy object in place of a newly created object.  Once
validation succeeds
(now done by portal_form tool) it will then create a new object and call the
xxx_edit
script on the object.  The portal_form object now acts like a controller and
is in charge
of form validation.  We have also made it so portal_properties is a
container and
can contain "PropertySheets". (in reality they are SimpleItemWithProperties)
The
portal_navigation tool has been refactored heavily.  Along with tons of UI
and usability
enhancements, various bug fixes and code cleanups.

I would like to NOTE.  You can still use the old API's.  They should have
depreciation
warning when you use them.  the link object is the only object that has been
changed
to use the new API.  Nothing yet uses the portal_factory creation proxy
mechanism.
You have to manually munge the URL to get this behavior.  We will provide
more information
in the next few days on how to use this feature.

Please test this rigorously.  Submit all your bugs/feature requests to
http://plone.org/collector
Based upon your feedback we will migrate the rest of the objects to the new
machinery for the beta
if we don't hear enough ground swell against this idea. We think its best to
use the new machinery
because it factors out the form validation, navigation and controlling point
into separate objects.  I hope
you will help us test this release and once we get the Discussion UI fixed
we will issue a beta.

regards,
The Plone Team

p.s. Geoff Davis and Helge Tesdal have significantly contributed to this
release.