[Zope-CMF] Advanced search

Kevin Carlson khcarlso@bellsouth.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:50:20 -0400

What I have done is to implement a form that I use to build an ad-hoc query
on several fields using "and" logic (could easily be extended to combine
and/or logic).  The results of the form are posted to a Python script that
combines what parts of the query it can and runs them together.  Keyword
searches seem to react a bit differently since multiple fields may have to
be searched (in my case) and are run separately.  I put the results into a
dictionary, using the object.id as the key to avoid duplicates.  After these
steps I convert the dictionary to a list (dictionary.values())and return it
for processing.

I don't have a ready-made ad-hoc query tool, but they are relatively easy to
build using the catalog and python scripts.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-cmf-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-cmf-admin@zope.org]On Behalf
Of J C Lawrence
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 4:55 AM
To: Dieter Maurer
Cc: zope-cmf@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] Advanced search

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:51:56 +0200
Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:
> J C Lawrence writes:

>> Has anyone implemented an "advanced" search for CMF or Plone?

> When I am not wrong, then the CMF already comes with it: it is called
> "search" in the top bar...

No, I mean a search tool I can limit and bracket, which supports boolean
logic, which can be constrained at runtime to matches within a folder
hierarchy, which can be limited to objects created or manipulated within
a date range -- which can do all the things that a Topic can do, but on
ad-hoc runtime basis without having to create ad-hoc Topic objects.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?