[Zope-CMF] Are there scaling issues with the Catalog?

Karl Anderson kra@monkey.org
29 Aug 2002 11:30:09 -0700

Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> writes:

>   We have a moderately large catalog (a few thousand objects,
>   each a few kb big). While search speed and incremental indexing
>   (for new/changed objects) is satisfactory, our availability check
>   restarted Zope when we tried to "update Catalog" after
>   a meta table extension.
>
>      The "update Catalog" apparently blocked ZEO for a sufficiently
>      long time that the fontends were no longer responsive enough.
>
>      Even a moderately large catalog seems to freeze even a Zope/ZEO cluster
>      for a considerable time in "updateCatalog".

Why not update smaller batches of entries in this case?  You know
where to find them :)

Come to think of it, do you know what resource was being used up to
make updating the catalog cause ZEO clients to freeze?

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/