[Zope-CMF] Change invokeFactory !

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:04:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
> > sidnews@netcourrier.com wrote:
> >
> >> But how can you create a PortalFolder in Members ??
> >> I just have "Folder" in the drop list of the Zope Managment Interface.
> >

> > Avoid using the ZMI add list for CMF content / folders;  the
> > ZMI doesn't know about all the extra work the types tool does
> > when adding content.  Instead, use the stock CMF 'folder_contents'
> > view of the '/Members' folder, and select the "New" button.
> >
> > Tres.
>

> Hmm,
>
> could you qualify this a little. I.e. I'm writing my own (python)
> product for the CMF and want to use the ZMI as a frontend. So I know my
> product doesn't do something which is hidden somewhere in the types
> tool, at least not hidden by me.
> Are there some caveats I should know about?

If your product defines a content type class, the site manager may
create an arbitrairy number of content types which are backed by it;
your object must not assume that it knows anything about which skins,
workflows, metadata policies, etc. are bound to it.  Constructing it
via the ZMI is going to be painful, as well, because you won't know
which "type" your object is supposed to be.

If you plan to use this product only in your own site, then obviously
you can choose not to observe these guidelines, as you, the prouct
developer, will know exactly how you, the site manager, will be using
your class.