[Zope-CMF] Portal Search Returns Everything + DeletedDocumentstoo

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:36:53 +0200

Chris Withers writes:
 > Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > >
 > > No senseful person will send a query, he already knows the answer of!
 > >
 > >   When empty queries return the empty sequence, they are useless.
 > >   When they return all (accessible) results, they are useful.
 >
 > I thought that method was only executed by a form search?
 >
 > The only way I can see the above happening is if some monkey accidentally pounds
 > on the search button with an empty search form, unneccessarily loading the
 > server with a pointless ZCatalog search.
You lack imagination ;-)

When I do not search for something specific, I simply press the
search button. So, I am one of the monkeys you speak about.
Just, that I do it for purpose and not accidentally.

Of course, some circumstances are essential that I do that:

   The search results are presented newest first. This way,
   I get all new items in the first batch(es). Of course,
   I only look at a few batches.

   The amount of new material is not too large. Otherwise,
   already the newest documents would overwhealm me.

   The portal content is narrowly focused, such that I am often
   interested to see everything new.

Thus, again:

   Keep it as it is: logically consistent and a useful interpretation
   of the empty query.

When you change it for your own sites, I would recommend to
tell the visitor that empty queries are not supported rather
than simply returning no hits. This would improve usability.

Dieter