[Zope-CMF] Copy/Paste Workflow Bug?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:31:44 +0200

Sidnei da Silva writes:
 > On Quinta 18 Julho 2002 13:14, Tres Seaver wrote:
 > | "Copy + paste" creates a "new" object, which does not retain the
 > | workflow history of the source object.  "Cut + paste" moves the object,
 > | and shouldn't therefore wipe out its history (it used to add a new
 > | "initial" state record to the history, by accident;  we fixed that since
 > | 1.2).
 > |
 > | If you really want copied items to be in the same workflow state as the
 > | source object, then you will likely need to customize the 'folder_paste'
 > | skin method to achieve this, perhaps by calling an external method.
 > |
 > | Tres.
 >
 > Is this considered a *feature*? Why would anyone want to copy the object and
 > loose the workflow state?
I do, with the following use case:

  We have articles published in different portals.
  Each portal has its own responsible editors.

  An article can only be changed by the editorial team that
  created it. But an article can be copied at will by arbitrary
  editors.

  The workflow state controls whether the article is published
  or not.

  In this situation, copying the article should change its
  workflow state; especially, it should no longer be published.

  The fact that the editor did not use the original article
  but made a copy indicates that he wants to make changes.
  Only, after the changes are complete, can the object again
  enter the "published" state.

Dieter