[Zope-CMF] Workflows 'without' the CMF?

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:02:13 +0100

Hi all,
First post to *this* Zope list (even though I've been subscribed since Nov
2000 and it was called PTK!)

We have many Zope sites here, but no CMF ones (I think mainly because the
learning curve seemed almost vertical at times - I have no idea what the
situation is like now and would welcome enlightenment).

We're about to take on a project that could well require large chunks of CMF
machinery, and I just want to get things clear in my mind about what the
options are.

We have a situation where people will be filling in forms online, which are
then saved to a SQL database. The act of filing in the form will action
something else to happen. I understand that this is the basis of the
workflows built into CMF.

There is the usual display of SQL database output which we're quite
comfortable with.

As someone logs into the website (using UserDb), we will want to present
them with a list of 'things to do', or things they *have* to do before
something else can happen, such as filling in another form.

There's output to PDF which again, is something we're happy with.

There is very little upload of content such as web pages, links, news items
and documents - things that I understand are the core of the CMF.

Essentially, it seems we want the workflow parts of the CMF used in a
'standard' Zope site. The 'documents' are going to be entries in an SQL
database, not objects in the ZODB.

So my questions are these:

Have I got the gist of the CMF correct?

Is what I'm proposing feasible?

If so, where do I start? :)

TIA
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140