[Zope-CMF] how to relabel standard_top_bar items once for all?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:41:05 +0100

Hi Alan,

Please avoid HTML postings, they hurt my eyes this early in the morning ;-)

> alan wostenberg wrote:
>
> In standard_top_bar I want to relabel the item called "news" to be "offerings". Just a
> cosmetic change. So I customize the relevant aref tag in standard_top_bar, it puts the
> revised on in the custom folder in portal_skins. View it from ZMI, looks OK.

I'm guessing you edited the standard_top_bar DTML method in portal_skins/generic?
I'm also guessign that you're using CMF 1.3b2?

> But when I go to the portal as a regular user, darn if it isn't called "news" not
> "offerings" as I said. Since this is not a matter of user preference I'd don't need a
> new skin but rather this change to effect the existing ones.
>
> What am I missing? Why don't changes in standard_top_bar items placed in
> portal_skins/custom take effect?

If you look at the properties tab in portal_skins, you'll see the layers that make up the
Basic skin.
These layers are searched left to right. You'll see zpt_generic comes before generic.
zpt_generic has an index_html Page Template which overrides the index_html DTML method in
generic.
Hence, your code in standard_top_bar is never used.

So, either:

- take all the zpt_* layers out of your skin in the portal_skins properties tab

or

- customise main_template in zpt_generic instead

I'd recommend the latter ;-)

cheers,

Chris