[Zope-CMF] Workflow and zcatalog and zclasses

S Haldar shaldar11@yahoo.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 05:54:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Chris - Tried that too. The only thing that
> > seem to work when portal_catalog is called are the
> > SearchableText, and the review_state it gets from
> the
> > workflow instance.
>
> So you're saying the only attributes your brains
> have are SearchableText
> and review_state?
>
> I find that pretty hard to believe :-S

Thanks Chris, let me be more articulate 8->

These are the only two I am able to work with. The
standared indices like, Date, Type, meta_type etc. are
also working.
But the indices (and metadata) that I create from the
ZClass properties (use the property name to create
index and metadata for the portal_catalog) don't get
populated, even though I reidex the ZClass instance
after the property values are populated (which I do by
iterating over a SQL query). The actual property
values are returned correctly when I list them from
the actual object (and not just the brain object). But

when I try to access them from the brain object (as
indices and metadata), they return empty values -
preventing me from doing any kind of sort_on when I
search portal_catalog.

The only things that return non-zero (and correct!)
values, besides the standard indices are review_state
and SearchableText. Well, SearchableText is standard,
but it allows me to customize the search to some
extent. But I would need to have more sorting
capabilities on more than one ZClass properties, and
since this is a data mart application, I would rather
take the cost of extra indexing.

Which brings me  to the original question, how can I
get the property indices in the brain reflect the same
values as the corresponding ZClass (ZInstance!)
properties?

> Check the metadata tab of your portal_catalog
> again...
>
> > Is there any way to single step through these CMF
> > methods as they are executed? Let me know.
>
> GDB/PDB?

I am familiar with GDB. Whats the learning curve like
for PDB in a win32 ZMI environment? In other words, is
the documentation fairly decent - like other gnu
products?