[Zope-CMF] drawing database with checkin/out procedures in CMF

David (Hamish) Harvey david.harvey@bristol.ac.uk
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:27:56 +0100

--On Monday, July 29, 2002 14:18:19 +0200 Tim Willems
<tim@planetinterior.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I need to create a CAD drawing database with checkin/out procedures in
> CMF. Are there any "best practices" in Zope to achieve such an intelligent
> repository with built-in revision control mechanisms?
>
> CVS looks quite straightforward for any textbased files, but what with
> binary files? Can it keep track of changes within these files too? Can

CVS doesn't understand binary files. Subversion, built by some CVS people
and intended to replace CVS (http://subversion.tigris.org/) can (or should
by v. 1.0) track changes in binary files as well as text.

> such a drawing be "flagged" in the CMF site as being checked-out?

In general the real bonus of CVS is that you *don't* need locking. But that
only really works with text files where it can mark collisions for you to
fix, you can fix them and recommit. With binary files you'd need special
conflict resolution software, I guess.

Can't help with tools to use in CMF, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Hamish