[Zope-CMF] Workflow and zcatalog and zclasses

S Haldar shaldar11@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> wrote:
> S Haldar wrote:
> > It turns out that all I had to do was to change
> the
> > default catalog before reindexing the ZClass
> instance.
> >
> > 2. If the ZClass instance is programatically
> > created,it should have been subclassed from
> > CatalogPathAware (or CatalogAware for Zope
> versions
> > below 2.5.1). While defining the ZClass, the
> > CatalogPathAware should be the FIRST base class.
> >
> > Just after the object instance is created, change
> the
> > name of the default catalog (which happens to be
> > "Catalog") to that of your Catalog
> ("portal_catalog"
> > in my case). After this, reindex the object.
> >
> > thisObject.manage_editCataloger('portal_catalog')
> > thisObject.reindexObject()
> >
> > This will ensure that the Zclass indexes in the
> > catalog's brain object get the correct values.
>
> ...more reasons why ZClasses suck ;-)

> I would have used a Scriptable Type Information
> object and had lots of
> calls to addProperty in the constructor script. No
> need for all the
> above malarky...

Thanks Kris - I didn't know about Scriptable Type
information - any place I can get more information
about it?

The reason for Zclasses:

1. simple, structured way to create, view and extend
classes

2. Any changes made to the ZClass itself (properties,
methods, views) is available to the instances on the
fly.

3. Ease of cataloging

Where it sucks is at documenting the capabilities in
one place.

If the scriptable type object does all of these in a
simpler way, along with comprehensive documentation, I
would switch to that.