[Zope-CMF] LazyFilter and Effective Dates

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 16:26:19 -0700

On Sunday, June 9, 2002, at 04:13  PM, seb bacon wrote:

> Carl Rendell wrote:
>> In sort, this allows me to obtain objects from a folder
>> regardless of those objects being cataloged, yet still have the
>> filters provided by 'searchContents()'. Folders for example are
>> NOT cataloged so a catalog search would not work for that case.
>> If anyone things this is completely out of wack, on the wrong
>> tack, or something else... Please let me know.
>
> You're on the right tack, have you got it working yet?

Yep... works really well for my purpose. I've got ~ a split 50/50
between catalog searches and folder contents on the site.

>> BTW: it took a lot of digging to find the bits needed for this,
>> should it be an example on zopelabs or a how to?
>
> Both if you have time :)  Personally, I can't think of any
> circumstances where you wouldn't want this to be the default
> behaviour of objectValues.  I'd even suggest putting it into the
> CMF, but it may break things for existing applications (though
> again, I can't imagine how..?)

The recipe is posted on zopelabs, and I agree with you. To my mind
searchResults(), objectValues(), and objectItems() are all types of
'searches'. My preference is for all similar functions - in this
case searches - to have the same filtering mechanisms. In applying
all three in my solutions, the difference is where you point them
(catalog vs folder)

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z