[Zope-CMF] What does the user say?

elfstrom@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca elfstrom@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:13:34 Canada/Eastern

> Do you think that a cmf-site needs a face-to-face
> training? Is it possible to make the creation of new content easier by
> renaming the content-type "document" to "report" or "essay" or "joke"?
> How do you solve the problem that users have to submit their content,
> but do not find the submit-button, maybe even do not understand what
> submit means.
>
> Could you point me to very easy cmf-sites, where i can see how you
> solved this problem?
>
> Or would you say: Don't setup a cms-site without training the members
> face to face!

Hi Jan,

>From what I've seen, sites made with the basic CMF are not all that usable.

* CMF-based sites need to be customized, sometimes heavily, to make them easy
to use.
* Usability testing should be a part of any serious web project.
* If you have to train more than about 5 people, you should consider building a
flash-based training video. One such tool you can use is Flash Cam.
http://www.nexusconcepts.com/flashcam/flashcam.htm -- something like what
Zope.COM has at http://www.zope.com/Demos/

I have yet to see a truly usable CMF-based site; zopezen.org and sites that use
plone skin (plone.org) are pretty good.

David Elfstrom