Some ideas (was Re: [Zope-CMF] Compound elements status )

Philippe Jadin all@123piano.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:55:21 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:

>Chances are, I'll look at both, take the best features from each (hopefully in a
>non-incompatible way),
>then mix those with my own ideas, write tests, write code, then marge the branch
>into the CMF Core.

Currently I only looked at cmfarticle (the only product available afaik)

What would be really nice :

- Site admins (or wathever they are called) can create
"article_template" folders (anywhere in the site hierarchy)

Those folders contains different articles inside them with dumb content
in them. The point of having those is to provide base templates for
reuse by editors

Example :

/article_template/
/article_template/two_pictures_and_a_text (this is a template article)
/article_template/two_pictures_and_a_text/pic1 (img article element)
/article_template/two_pictures_and_a_text/text (simple text element)
/article_template/two_pictures_and_a_text/pic2

/article_template/employee_profile/employee_picture (img)
/article_template/employee_profile/employee_homepage (link)
/article_template/employee_profile/employee_quickdescription (txt)

- Editors, when they choose to add a "Article" (or wathever they would
be called) would have a dropdown menu showing all the templates
available in article_template folders up to the root of the site. They
can also add an empty article of course (depending of their rights to
add and delete article subelements).

When they choose a template, the content from the corresponding
article_template element is duplicated where ha asked to have a new
article. He's now ready to edit the content (the content is alos
prefilled with hints / default pictures...)

There should be a way to decide wether a template is a new 'content
type' or if it's a variation of the existing content type. For example
press release with 0, 2 or 10 pictures is still a press release. An
employee profile page (text + picture) is really an employee_profile
'content type'. This is required for efficient searching. This would
also give the possibility to create compound content types very easily.

hth

Philippe